Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cryxian Theme

I've finally gotten a hold of what possible theme to paint the cryx in. I had decided to paint my Khador in ice white or winter white. This then adds to the list of unlikely color themes for me to make. So far I've painted:

Rusting metal/ shiny roach (necrons)
Powder blue/ fluffy clouds (eldar)
Blue and blue green/ Scaled vehicles (eldar)
Dusty brown/ rising from sand (khemri)
Red and green/ basic solid colors (alchemist of dirz)

With what experience I have had with the eldar vehicle scales and runes freehand I'm pretty confident that I could actually pull off another relatively easy stunt like that, making a mediocre paint job a great one. The fact that most themes for cryx have already been done by other cryxian players (standard black, green and gold; ghostly white and blue-green; black and gunbolt; bone), it became apparent to me that I had to find inspiration somewhere.

I had gone through all the high scoring cryxian paint themes on cool mini or not, and I've found that the best came from those painted in the standard color palette. i don't want to do that.

So I ended up looking at something that had always fascinated me: masques. The entire concept of masques as used in the venetian carnival was the most coherent theme I could think of, especially since deneghra wears one. This flight of fancy too a downward spiral immediately when I realized I actually had to sculpt over 200 masques for the rest of the models I had owned.

Then it hit me, why not just make a circus act? Have someone play as clowns, mimes and others would be magicians and trapeze artists. Basically have some sort of color scheme brought together by the circus.

No comments: