Saturday, July 21, 2007

Summer Rampage Week 2


This week finds me with having a weird scenario where I'm supposed to take and hold a 6x6" ruin for 3 consecutive turns with a moving 5" AOE cloud effect cyclone. It either throws you or knocks you down.

I've had 3 games so far, all at 750 each.

First game was against Chris who was playing Baldur.

Baldur
Woldwwardens x2
Warp Wolf x2
Druids
Tharn Bloodtrackers (10)
Shifting Stones x2
Swamp Gobbers

I was playing the Coven again.

Coven
Deathripper x5 righteous indignation (got righteous indignation x2, glory hog, dead)
Nightwretch x4 righteous indignation (got righteous indignation, 2 dead)
Deathjack
Skarlock
Pistol Wraith x2
Bile Thralls (6)

Goddammit! I was actually 22 points short. What a stupid thing to do!

I had the unfortunate luck to have gotten rolls which led the cyclone towards my deployment area. It had pushed me to play a bit defensive., as I was giving the cyclone a wide berth. It was a power 12 afterall. And with the combination of Chris' advance deploy and first turn advantage, he was able to get to the ruins early.

For some reason I got myself painted into a corner by having Chris convince me to take a boast. I did speed machine. It probably is one of the harder ones to play since I would automatically lose after the 4th round. Your opponent can then adjust his game to simply stop you from winning after 4 turns. I did rag dolls though and ended up trying to trample with my deathjack, who happens to end up out of my 18" control area. It made that 154 point jack totally useless. It died again. Unbound sucks, the deathjack is totally overrated. I think all the other unique jacks do better (excpet maybe the thunderhead).

I guess I got lucky seeing that Chris had a bad headache and couldn't think straight. I figured it was his first 750 game. I was all set to lose until I had lucky rolls. I ended up assassinating Baldur on turn 4. He had mistakenly place the 2 remaining druids more the 2" away from Baldur.

Better lucky than good I say.

----------

My second game was with Dick. He also agreed to play 750 points. I figured it would be really scary to face off against epic Vlad. He actually had the elements for the second turn assassination with the flying drakhun. So I thought giving him the idea of playing the epic caster would make him win.

Epic Vlad
Behemoth Alexia
Kovnik
Berserkers x2
Widowmakers
Mow Demo Corps (5)
Drakhun + dismount
Eiyrss


Now I finally got a taste of my own medicine. Seeing those merc solos with the widowmakers and the drakhun, it really scared me. I figured I had to play a little safe, seeing it had all the elements for a 2nd turn kill.

Skarre
Deathjack
Helldiver x2 bloodthirsty ( rolled gloryhog)
Nightwretch x3 (got righteous indignation, 2 alive)
Bane Lord Tartarus
Bane Knights (10)
Pistol Wraiths x2
Mcthralls (10)

Nothing new in my list except the fact that I just wanted to have fun using the helldivers. But at 750 they seem not to do much. I still have yet to knock anything down with them when they pop up. I guess their greatest strength is that most people ignore what they can do. In the 2 games I played them, no one bothered to stay away from the marker at least 8". So I love them now. They're my favorite jack, second only to the nightwretches.


I was able to knockdown Vlad by slamming a mcthrall with a nightwretch unto him. Got me my other rampage.

I just have 2 more rampages to go. It's getting really hard now, both rampages require me to go up against a large amount of squishy infantry. I'm guessing I'll need Deneghra to pull off the hell raiser and Goreshade for the tenderizer.
--------
Had my third game with Mang. He's be off the game for over a year, he actually can't remember much of his rules and had to read a lot of the new ones.

Harbringer
Castigator
Crusader
Devout
Vilmon
Seneschal
Order of the Wall
Wracks x2
Choir (6)
Zealots (8) Monolith Bearer
Daughters of the flame
Exemplar Vengers (3)
Eiyrss


I played this list:

Goreshade
Deathjack
Helldiver x2
Nightwretch x2
Tartarus
Bane Knights (10)
Pistol Wraith x2
Mcthralls (8)
Yes, it's exactly 44 points short. I forgot to put a nightwretch on the table.


I had the usual speed machine boast, as none of my games ever went over 4 rounds. Mang unfortunately toook it as his easy path to victory by hanging back until the fourth turn ends with him winning by speedmachine. I guess he needs a lot more games to get back into shape. I love my hell divers now. The make a mess of the opponent's charge lanes and end up popping up behind everyone. Now if I could only roll to knock them down.

Mang did get 5 zealots and a monolith bearer and 2 vengers on the ruins. The deathjack killed the monolith bearer and venger by a necrovent. The nightwretch made the rest of the zealots flee, hence the rampage. Godshead is really difficult to time. It's a really funky feat that needs to be popped early, and gets useless in the end.


--------

Game against Mang. Still twister and well it would be Mang's first win for the year.

Kreoss
Castigator x2
Crusader
Vilmon
Choir (6)
Zealots (10)
Monolith Bearer
Daughters of the Flame
Exemplar Vengers (3)
Wrack x2
Eiryss
Kell Bailoch

I used eSkarre and satyxis.

eSkarre
Deathjack
Helldiver x2
Nightwretch x4
Pistol Wraiths x2
Skarlock
McThralls (8)
Satyxis (10)
Sea Witch

I have love for eSkarre who happens to be the best jack caster cryx has at present. I think I would like to get her a leviathan soon. Her upkeep spell rule the day, especially seas of fate.

Game boiled down to too many crtical rolls. I needed nothing to hit and rolled snake eyes on my blood magic, I need 5 to kill off kreoss with 3 dice, I rolled 3.

Oh well, better lucky than good.

No comments: